Anthony Giddens is the most widely-read and cited social theorist of his generation. His ideas have profoundly influenced the writing and teaching of sociology and social theory around the world. In particular, he developed the theory of “Structuration”, which is the understanding of the relationship between individuals and the conditions around them.
- The Third Way; Left or Right… or what?
- Global Warming
- The Renewal of Democracy
- The Theory of “Structuration”
- Modernity, Post-Modernity and the Post-Traditional
What he offers
How he presents
Anthony Giddens is renowned for his clear and fluent speaking style and continues to be in great demand by corporate clients the world over.
Lord Anthony Giddens is one of the most influential sociologists and social theorists in the world today. Giddens served as Director of the London School of Economics 1997–2003, where he is now Emeritus Professor. He is currently a Life Fellow of King’s College, Cambridge. In 2007, Giddens was listed as the fifth most-referenced author of books in the humanities. In 2002 he was awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize for the social sciences, known as ‘the Spanish Nobel Prize’.
Anthony Giddens was educated at the University of Hull and the London School of Economics. At the LSE, he wrote a dissertation on ‘Sport and Society in Contemporary Britain’. He has taught at the University of Leicester and subsequently at Cambridge, where he was Professor of Sociology. He was made a Life Peer in May 2004. He has honorary degrees from 15 universities. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Science and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. He was the BBC Reith Lecturer in 1999. His books have been translated into some forty languages. He has sat on the board of various public organisations, including the Institute of Public Policy Research.
Giddens’s impact upon politics has been profound. His advice has been sought by political leaders from Asia, Latin America and Australia, as well as from the US and Europe. He has had a major impact upon the evolution of New Labour in the UK. He took part in the original Blair-Clinton dialogues from 1997 onwards.
- Turbulent and Mighty Continent: What Future for Europe (2015)
- Routledge Library Editions: Social Theory: Studies in Social and Political Theory (RLE Social Theory) (2014)
- Politics and Sociology in the Thought of Max Weber (2013)
- Sociology (Seventh Edition) (2013)
- On The Edge (2012)
- The Third Way (Second Edition) (2012)
- Sociology (Sixth Edition) (2009)
- The Politics of Climate Change (2009)
- Europe in The Global Age (2007)
- Over to You, Mr Brown – How Labour Can Win Again (2007)
- The Progressive Manifesto: New Ideas for the Centre-Left (2003)
- Where Now for New Labour (2002)
- The Global Third Way Debate (co-editor with Will Hutton) (2001)
- Global Capitalism (2000)
- Runaway World: How Globalization is Reshaping Our Lives (2000)
- The Third Way: The Renewal of Social Democracy (1998)
- In 2007, Giddens was listed as the fifth most-referenced author of books in the humanities
- In 2002 he was awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize for the social sciences, known as ‘the Spanish Nobel Prize’
Presentation Languages: English