Known as ‘strategist’s strategist’, during his speeches, Rumelt highligths bad strategy / good strategy and shares his ideas on competitive advantage, how to strengthen it, how to exploit inertia and riding waves of change.
- Corporate Strategy
- Good Strategy/Bad Strategy
- Strategy, Structure, and Economic Performance
- The Dynamics of Industry Transitions
- The Evolution of Complex Industries
What he offers
How he presents
As a very charismatic and experienced speaker Prof. Rumelt provides highly informative and engaging presentations that encourage audiences to take a fresh view in approaching strategic management issues.
Richard Rumelt is the Harry and Elsa Kunin Professor of Business & Society at UCLA Anderson, a graduate school of business and management. In addition to his academic work, he has been a consultant to numerous firms, non-profit organizations, the Department of Defense, and several governments. Professor Rumelt’s research has centered on corporate diversification strategy and the sources of sustainable advantage to individual business strategies.
Professor Rumelt received his doctorate from the Harvard Business School in 1972, having previously earned a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley. He worked as a systems engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratories and served on the faculty of the Harvard Business School. He joined the UCLA faculty in 1976. During 1993-96 he was on long-term leave from UCLA, serving on the faculty at INSEAD, France. At INSEAD, Professor Rumelt headed the Corporate Renewal Initiative, a research-intervention center devoted to the study and practice of corporate transformation. Professor Rumelt was President of the Strategic Management Society in 1995-98. In 1997, he was appointed Telecom Italia Strategy Fellow, a position he held until April 2000.
- Good Strategy/Bad Strategy (2011)
- Fundamental Issues in Strategy (1994)
- Strategy, Structure, and Economic Performance (1974)
- In 2011, Professor Rumelt was named to the prestigious Thinkers50 list of vanguard business thought leaders
- Irwin Prize for his book Strategy, Structure, and Economic Performance
- In 1997, “Best Paper Prize” from the Strategic Management Journal
Presentation Languages: English