Mariana focuses on theorising the role of the State in the dynamics of economic growth – and uses these insights to influence industrial strategy and growth policy in the UK and abroad. Mariana’s aim is to force people with very different backgrounds and views to bang heads together and come up with solutions.
- New Economic Thinking
- Finance Innovation & Growth
- The Entrepreneurial State
- Role of the State in Economic Growth
What she offers
How she presents
Mariana’s speaking style coupled with an incisive understanding and enlightened capacity to explain and discuss global issues has contributed to her high popularity and reputation.
Mariana Mazzucato is an economist with an interest in the relationship between innovation and growth, and economic policies that can ensure that economic growth is not only ‘smart’ but also inclusive and sustainable. Her work on finance and innovation argues that financial markets must be reformed to support productive investments and innovation: creative destruction not destructive creation. Professor Mariana Mazzucato holds the RM Phillips chair in the Economics of Innovation at SPRU in the University of Sussex. She has held academic positions at the University of Denver, London Business School, Open University, and Bocconi University.
Between 2009-2012 she directed a large 3 year European Commission FP7 funded project on Finance and Innovation (FINNOV). Her recent project on Financing Innovation was funded by the Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET) and her project on Finance and Mission Oriented Investments was funded by the Ford Foundation’s Reforming Global Financial Governance initiative. She is currently working on various research projects commissioned by organizations including NASA, and the Brazilian Ministry for Science and Technology.
- The Entrepreneurial State – Debunking Public vs. Private Sector (2013)
- The Entrepreneurial State (2011)
- Personal Investment (2010)
- Knowledge Accumulation and Industry Evolution (2006)
- Winner of the New Statesman / SPERI Prize in Political Economy 2014
- Shortlisted for the German Wirtschaftsbuchpreis for Das Kapital des Staates 2014
- Listed in Financial Times Selection of Books of the Year, Entrepreneurial State, 2013
- In 2013 The New Republic Called Her One of The ‘3 Most Important Thinkers About Innovation’
Presentation Languages: English