Javier Solana has achieved much diplomatic success as an extraordinary consensus-builder working behind the scenes with leaders of various nations. Drawing on his experience he offers unique perspectives on the most important international affairs: security, defense and international relations.
- Global Security
- New World Order
- The Effects of Globalization
- The Middle East
- China and India
- The Role of Europe in the Global Constitution
What he offers
How he presents
A respected voice in European politics, Javier Solana is an experienced and skilled communicator whose presentations engage worldwide audiences keen to hear his unique perspective on a variety of current issues.
Javier Solana is one of the most important political figures in the international arena. He has played a vital role in the development of global international relations for over two decades. He has been in charge of two of the highest supranational and intergovernmental organisations in the world: NATO and the EU. At NATO he held the position of Secretary General from 1995 to 1999. At the EU he held several top positions: Secretary General of the Council of the EU; first High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy and Secretary General of the Western European Union.
Javier Solana is the President and Rafik Hariri Professor of the ESADE Global Center for Economy and Geopolitics and a distinguished Fellow at the Brookings Institution (Washington DC). He is also Honorary President of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (Geneva); President of the Executive Comittee of Barcelona Institute for Global Health; President of the Aspen Institute Espana; member of the boards of the International Crisis Group, the European Council on Foreign Relations and Human Rights Watch as well as Senior Visiting Professor at the London School of Economics.
- Reivindicación de la política: Veinte años de relaciones internacionales (Javier Solana in conversation with Lluís Bassets) (2010)
- Gold Medal of the Jean Monnet Foundation for Europe (2011)
- Honorary Doctorate (Political Science), London School of Economics
- Ewald-von-Kleist Award, Munich Security Conference (2010)
- Charles V European Award, European Academy of Yuste Foundation (2010)
- Convivencia Award, Manuel Broseta Foundation (2009)
- Extraordinary Prize of the Spanish Ministry of Defence (2009)
- Peace Award of the World Children’s Parliament (2008)
- Peace Through Dialogue Medal, Munich Security Conference (2007)
- Wateler Peace Prize, Carnegie Foundation (2006)
- Statesman of the Year Award, EastWest Institute (2003)
- Vision for Europe Award, Edmond Israel Foundation (2003)
- Charlemagne Prize (2003)
Presentation Languages: English, Spanish